SPIRIT OF PLACE
LEARNING and LIVING in an INSPIRATIONAL ENVIRONMENT
Repton is the ancient capital of Mercia and Repton School, founded in 1557 from a bequest from Sir John Port of Etwall, was established on the site of a 7th century Anglo-Saxon Benedictine abbey and then a 12th century Augustine priory.
The School site today stretches 75 acres and incorporates many of the original buildings including the Guest Chamber and Prior’s Lodging (which as the Old Priory currently houses the School Library, Archives and Common Room), Overton’s Tower, Tithe Barn, and the Arch. The latter is all that remains of the Priory’s original gatehouse and which helped inspire the School’s motto: porta vacat culpa (the gate is free from blame).